Canadian Dollar ETF (FXC)

I did these trades this week:

  • Covered FULT (hard stop hit)
  • Covered ELY (second lot only, original position still being held)
  • Bought IVN
  • Sold IVN (hard stop hit)
  • Shorted NPBC (added to existing position)


I went into this week being almost entirely short, so the fact that the market rose every day this week was not beneficial. I lost less than 10% of my account equity this week, which is actually very surprising considering that:

  • I am about 90% short
  • I am fully margin (3:1)
  • The general market rose over 7% for the week
And most of the money I did lose was actually on the long side with IVN. This stock spiked down 16% on Thursday on some unfavorable news.

All this means that my shorts must have done very well (at least on a relative basis). For example, for the week:

  • CEPH +.41%
  • ELY -.20%
  • NPBC +.24%
  • HANS +3.19%
This is why, when I go short, I want to short the weakest stocks I can possibly find. This way, even if the market does rise, stocks that are technically weak will (hopefully) rise less than the market or even fall.



Anyway, here is an ETF that caught my eye this week: