A New Strategy

I've thought of a new strategy for trading stocks, and will be experimenting with this strategy in my retirement account. My small retirement account formerly held investments that (I thought) had strong fundamentals, such as natural gas, and oil.

Last year, I read about a dozen books on a theory known as 'Peak Oil', and I really do think that the theory is based on a sound foundation. However, as a trend follower, if oil ever does go to the moon, I am sure that it will be in the form of trend, and I will be able to capitalize on it anyway; with or without knowledge of the fundamentals.

Anyway, now that I have some extra cash in that account, I will be trading stocks based on a new technical rules based strategy. The strategy will identify 1 stock per week (every weekend) with the following characteristics:

  • The stock will be Canadian
  • The stock will always be a long candidate
  • The stock will often be a penny stock
  • The stock may or may not be in a true uptrend
  • The stock will be held for only one week, unless certain criteria are met
  • The stock will, if the strategy is successful, really move

I will be keeping tabs on how this strategy is performing on the right hand side of the page you are reading. So far, the strategy is off to a good start, with TFI.to, but there is no guarantee that this strategy will produce positive results over the long term. It truly is an experiment, and it will be interesting to see what the results will be.



This week's stock is LSG.to, shown below: