How Trend Followers Handle Countertrend Moves

Being net short, it was not surprising that I got somewhat crushed by todays intense rally. That being said, I must accept it as a cost of doing business, as any bear market will occasionally experience days like today.

Shorting stocks in a bear market makes sense in the long run, and I do not let these sharp corrections bother me too much. Conversely, going long in a bull market makes sense, despite there being periodic corrections as well.

In fact, corrections in a bull market have the potential to be more severe that corrections in a bear market. There have been numerous instances were stocks have fallen by 10% or more in a day, but rarely will a market rise 10% or more in one day. Yet, paradoxically, shorting is still widely regarded as being more risky.

I am sure the question on a lot of peoples mind is whether this rally was just a dead cat bounce, or the start of something much larger. Personally, I have no idea. My philosophy is to not predict what the market will do; I only react to what does eventually unfold.

I did not cover any of my shorts today. I try not to let one days market activity distract me from viewing the long term picture. For example, compare these 2 monthly charts of the S&P 500:

One day before the correction (March 9th):


After the correction (March 10th):


As you can see, the big picture (the bear market) has not changed. I believe that at this point there is no justification to make any significant modifications to my portfolio. However, if the market continues to rally, I will slowly and gradually rotate out of some of my short position, and into long positions. If the big picture changes, then so will my portfolio.



Anyway, please refer below for more candidates...