US Stock Market Trend Analysis

I like to buy strong stocks in a rising stock market.    For the past 7 months, the stock market has been rising, so I have been continuously buying strong stocks during this time.  And it has paid off - my own account is up over 40% year to date.

However, for the last month or so, I have been buying the dip in this market and that has not paid off.  As I will present in this post, the evidence is now building that this is not a dip in an uptrend, but the end of the trend itself.

First, let's take a look at a daily chart of the S&P 500:




While I do not know what will happen in the future for the market, here are some observations about the present that I have made:


  • For the first time this year, the price has gapped down
  • For the first time this year, the price has closed below the 50 day moving average
  • The index has formed a lower high
  • The index has formed a lower low
  • The S&P 500 experienced its largest decline of the year this week
  • This decline took place on the highest volume in over a year 

All of the above statements are facts and cannot be argued.    My own conclusion based on these facts is that being a buyer of stocks no longer puts the odds in my favour, which is why I dumped all of my equity positions on Friday morning. 

Here is a daily chart of the Dow Jones:


If my six points were not convincing enough, subjectively, I could also argue that the Dow has formed an island top and also a bearish head and shoulders reversal pattern.  

So, I'm out of stocks now, which does have its advantages.   In my view, cash itself is a position, and going into cash when the odds of success move against you makes sense to me.  This is a game that I only want to play when the odds are stacked in my favour - when that changes, I'm out.